This year I am trying to see as many theatrical performances
as I can. I went to Poole lighthouse to see a Ballet Black, who were putting on
a collection of different pieces. These pieces were all collaborations with
different chorographers who specialised in different areas of dance. This meant that all of the pieces were
different even though they used the same set of dancers. The first piece was a
duet called together alone, I found this a really powerful piece where you
could really feel the emotion between the two dancers. I also felt that this
piece was a perfect balance of contemporary and modern ballet. The costumes in this piece were
contemporary but with historical influences therefore they really worked well.
The male costume was simple breaches and cut off shirt, this meant that you
couldn’t really place him in any particular time period. The female costume was
very modern and current however the skirt had netting underneath; this gave a
reminder of the classic pancake tutu. The netting was also bright yellow, which
was a contrast to the muted pallet of the rest of the costumes. Several other
short pieces made up the rest of the first half that were a mixture of styles
with different dancers. As a member of the audience who is not an expert on
ballet this was really enjoyable as there was a lot of change throughout the
piece and I was not left watching a piece which I did not understand.
The second half was set out very differently as the piece
had a narrative. Storyville is set in 1915 and follows a lost young girls path
as she enters into a New Orleans nightclub. This piece was a contrast to the earlier
piece’s however it was still preformed using a mixture of contemporary and
classic ballet. You could really feel the emotion in this piece and the story
was easy to understand. Overall I really enjoyed the entire performance, as
there was such a mix of style and performance techniques. The costumes though
varied all worked together and enhanced the pieces. In the future I will try and see any local performances by Ballet Black.
Pancho, C. (2012) Ballet Black [Online] Available from: http://www.balletblack.co.uk/index.html [Accessed: 7.10.2012]


No comments:
Post a Comment