Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Learning Agrement


NAME:                       Eliza Rose Harris
COURSE:                  BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design
UNIT TITLE:             Extended Major Project (EMP)
REFERENCE NO:  CSS603
CREDIT POINTS:  60
WEIGHTING:           4.0
HRS OF STUDY:    600
UNIT LEADER:       Rebecca Pride

Proposal:
For level 6 I have decided to specifically focus my studies on tailoring. My Extended Major Project will be split into two equal parts, where I will create two separate suits. The first part of this project will be self-directed, working individually to create a three-piece suit inspired by the TV series Boardwalk Empire. For the second part of this project I will work as a tailor within a costume team to realise and create a costume for Brecht’s, The Threepenny Opera.

I have chosen a self-directed project to begin with as I want to create a garment that will showcase my skills, which I can then use as a portfolio piece. I will base my design on the TV series Boardwalk Empire, focusing on the character Enoch ‘Nucky’ Thompson, carrying out appropriate research to make sure the costume is historically accurate. I will use this project to enhance and extend my tailoring skills, improving those that were highlighted in my feedback from Specialist Practice, as well learning new skills and techniques.

As I am working individually I will have to take on roles that I wouldn’t as part of a costume team, such as; making design decisions, budgeting, souring fabric and trimmings. I will work to a professional standard throughout this project to create a three-piece suit using traditional tailoring techniques. To finish, I will collaborate with others to produce a set of photos. Due to working individually I will have to carefully plan my time and set myself deadlines to make sure this project does not interfere with the second assignment of EMP.

For the second part of this project I have chosen to work on the production of The Threepenny Opera. I have chosen to work as a maker on a live production as it involves working within a large team, allowing me to experience a very different environment than that of the first EMP assignment that I will have completed. I will work closely with a designer and supervisor to create a chosen design and whilst independent judgement will guide my decisions, I will primarily have to consider what the designer expects; making sure my work is in-keeping with the rest of the production. This will give me accurate preparation for future work in a professional environment.

Tailoring will remain my focus of this piece, however this project is set in the future, therefore will not be based on historical accuracies like previous projects. This will force me to work using skills, techniques, fabrics and fastenings that may not necessarily usually be associated with tailoring, broadening my skills and challenging my abilities.

I will record my work in two individual workbooks, including a production journal that will reflect on my work on The Threepenny Opera, which will help to contextualise my work. I will use a blog throughout to evaluate and reflect on my work and include a final evaluation.

Blog Address: http://elizaroseharris.blogspot.co.uk/

Aims:
A1 To provide you with the opportunities to exercise and enhance your knowledge and abilities in the development of a body of creative and technically competent work appropriate to your course aims and criteria at Level 6.

A2 To provide opportunities for you to learn from the increased complexity and rigour of creative production required for this unit.

A3 To encourage you to apply the advanced level of discipline and time management which are required during the unit.

A4 To encourage you to work independently, albeit with supervision, in the development of your work, in a way which reflects contemporary professional practice. You are also encouraged to work effectively as a team member where this is demanded by your project or subject specialism.

Learning Outcomes:
On completion of this unit you will be able to:

LO1   Demonstrate the ability to rigorously apply specialist knowledge, understanding and creativity in the production of your extended major project.

LO2   Demonstrate the ability to manage the complexity of practice demanded by the extended major project by managing your time and work efficiently.
LO3   Demonstrate ability in the coherent use of various representation techniques, documentation and presentations to specialist and non-specialist audiences.

LO4   Demonstrate your awareness of the ethical, social and cultural issues appropriate to the concept of a responsible professional practitioner, whether working independently or as part of a team



TRANSFERABLE SKILLS:
Managing Self 
Professional Skills 
Team working 

Assessment Requirements:

Body of work to be identified through and in the negotiated Learning Agreement.
                                                                                                                100%

A negotiated body of work that will include evidence of advanced technical and artistic experimentation and risk taking, I will hand in a body of work consisting of 2 full Costumes, a workbook including a production journal and blog, which will include research, instructions and reflections with appropriate written evaluation (500 words).   100%

Each assessment requirement must be passed at a minimum grade of 40% to successfully complete the unit.


Assessment Criteria:

Assessment Criteria (specific criteria related to the learning outcomes and linked to the statement of generic assessment criteria matrix):


Evidence of realisation through the application of technical knowledge and skills – Specialist knowledge and understanding are evident and applied in the work (LO1)

Evidence of understanding through critical evaluation and reflection – Informing the development and management of the project (LO2)

Evidence of realisation through presentation – The communication and presentation of ideas reflects best contemporary practice (LO3)

Evidence of knowledge of concepts, contexts, criticism and theory – The work demonstrates awareness of concepts relevant to the responsible professional practitioner (LO4)


Reference Material
Brecht, B. (1979). The Threepenny Opera. Frankenfurt: Eyre Methuen LTD.

Bridgland, A. S. (1928). The Modern Tailor Outfitter and Clothier – vol 1. UK: Ferndale Book Company.

Boardwalk Empire, (2010). HBO. [Television]
Doblin. C. F. (1994). The Modern Mitchell System of Men’s Designing. Chicago: Master Designer.

Johnson, N. (2011). Boardwalk Empire. USA: Ebury Publishing.

Musgrave, E. (2009) The Prefect Suit. London: Pavilion Books.



STUDENT……………………………………….DATE………………..

TUTOR…………………………………………..DATE……………….


No comments:

Post a Comment